5 Ways to Make Sure Your Kids Get Enough Fiber
Let’s look at some ways to make sure your kids get enough fiber. You might be surprised to learn fiber is an important nutrient for not only children but also adults. It is recommended that kids, along with adults, get about 25 grams of fiber a day. Fiber helps prevent constipation, and may reduce the risk of heart disease, certain cancers and obesity. Here, 5 ways to guarantee your kids get the fiber they need.
5 ways to make sure your kids get enough fiber
1. Eat 5 A Day. Fruits and vegetables are full of nutritious fiber. Aim for 5 servings a day, and vary the type of produce so kids don’t get bored. Get double the benefit by keeping the peel on apples, cucumbers and other produce with an edible peel.
2. Look for Whole Grains. Fiber-rich whole grain breads and cereals can be a good source of fiber, but not all products labeled “whole-grain” have the same nutritional value. Read the ingredient list, and look for “whole-grain” as the first ingredient.
3. Good Guidelines. Excellent sources of fiber have 5 or more grams of fiber per serving, and good sources of fiber have at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.
4. Include Legumes. Legumes such as beans, lentils and chickpeas are fantastic sources of fiber. What a great excuse to make taco night a regular occurrence!
5. Snack on popcorn. Popcorn is a great source of fiber! Just pop it yourself and go light on the salt to keep it healthy.
These are 5 simple tips ways to make sure your kids get enough fiber. For more ways to include fiber in your kids’ diet, consider working with our dietitian or health coach.
Dr. Karen Leibowitz
Health and Medical Coach