Monthly Archives: June 2019
It’s time to forget fad diets and focus on health. If you are trying to eat healthier, you have probably encountered the many restrictive diets sold by writers, bloggers and Instagram. With so much conflicting advice, it is easy to become confused. Instead, try focusing on a life-long healthy eating pattern that will set you up for long-term success.
3 Reasons to Forget Fad Diets
- Patterns Create Change. One meal does not mean success or failure. What you eat most of the time is more important. Fill up on fruits and veggies- produce should make up about half of your plate. Focus on whole grains, beans, seafood and nuts for the rest of your meals.
- Foods to Enjoy in Moderation. Eat less red and processed meats, sweetened drinks, desserts and processed grains. You do not have to entirely limit these foods, but making them an occasional indulgence in an otherwise healthy diet will set you up for success. Added sugars should make up no more than 10 percent of your diet.
- Consult our Health Coach, Dr. Karen. It can be difficult to figure out a diet that works well for your lifestyle, budget and individual needs. Consider meeting with Dr. Karen, especially if you have concerns about restricting certain foods or are on a special diet. Dr. Karen can help you wade through the sea of diet information, and instead find a healthy eating pattern for life.
Considering health coaching? Set up your free consultation today with Dr. Karen. KareBoost Health believes that healthy eating is a lifestyle, forget fad diets! Contact us to find out how we fit in to your goals.
Karen L. Leibowitz, MD
Health and Medical Coach
When you begin a meditation practice and maintain a meditation practice, it can have many benefits. People that meditate regularly have reported reduced stress, increased self-awareness and an overall improvement in emotional health. Starting a meditation practice can be daunting.
3 Ways to Begin a Meditation Practice
- Start Small. If you are just beginning, it will probably be difficult to find the time or attention to sit still for a long period of time. Start with 5 minutes, or even 2 or 3 minutes if sitting still is very difficult. Set a timer with a soft, pleasant noise and practice being still and observing your thoughts for a few minutes.
- Don’t Go It Alone. Meditation has grown in popularity, and so have the resources devoted to it. Try an app on your smartphone with preset meditations. You will learn lots of techniques and be able to find one that works well for you.
- Set Yourself Up for Success. Find a quiet space to meditate, and make sure you are comfortable. Minimizing distractions will help you to quiet your mind and will signal to your mind and body that your meditation time is yours alone. Let family members know that you will be meditating and for how long, and ask them to ensure your attention is not needed during that time. Maybe they will join you!
Interested in learning more about how you can Begin a Meditation Practice? KareBoost Health offers yoga and meditation classes for all levels. We are here to help you succeed. Whether you have a specific goal you are working towards, or just want to improve your quality of life, our unique approach can help. Schedule a free consultation today to find out more.
Kara Unal JD, RYT