Easy Ways to Start New Year Resolutions
Do your New Year Resolutions include working out more often? The American Heart Association recommends getting at least 150 minutes of activity every week. Here, 5 easy ways to make those resolutions stick long beyond January.
5 Tips to Keep New Year Resolutions
- Make It Yours. Do something you enjoy. You will exercise more if you look forward to it. Put on music you like and pick a time of day that works best for you. There is a ton of information (and misinformation) available about exercise, but the best exercise is the one that you enjoy doing frequently.
- Be comfortable. You do not have to spend a lot of money on fitness gear, but find comfortable supportive shoes and sweat-wicking clothes that you can move around in.
- Break It Up. Where can you fit in fitness? 10-minute increments are just as effective as longer ones. Maybe try short walks 3 times a day. The important part is to just keep moving.
- Make It A Habit. It takes time for a new routine to stick. Be patient with yourself. Try setting aside the same time every day to exercise- even if you do not do your full workout, do something. Setting the time aside and trying to be active will help your routine stick.
- Don’t Give Up! You skipped one- or a few- days. It will happen. Get back into your routine as soon as possible, and don’t be too hard on yourself. If you find yourself frequently skipping workouts, evaluate what is not working. Maybe it is time to find a different workout or class.
We are here to support you at KareBoost Health. We know that sticking to your resolutions is easier when you don’t go it alone. Set up a free health consultation today to find out how we can help you meet your goals.
Karen L. Leibowitz, MD
Health and Medical Coach